Friday, February 12, 2010

Disable Logging for Folders/Files in IIS 7

Since turning off logging for IIS 7 folders or files is not as straight forward (or intuitive) as it is in IIS 6. I thought I would post the steps here. For IIS 6 you can follow the instructions in this MS Knowledge Base Article.

Disable IIS logging for a folder

  • Open up IIS 7 Manager
  • Expand the website in the left pane to see the folder structure.
  • Click on the folder name to select it.


  • Double click on the Logging entry in the folder home page.


  • Click the Disable link under Actions on the right pane.


Disable IIS Logging for a file

The steps for a file are almost identical for an individual file.

  • After you select the folder where the file resides, click the Content View at the bottom of the middle pane to see all the contents of the folder.


  • Select the file that you want, then click Switch to Features view under Actions on the right pane.


  • Then follow same last two steps as above to turn off Logging for that file.

Local Version Control and Backup

So I finally started using SVN to version control all of my local projects via VisualSVN and using the ankhSVN plug-in for Visual Studio. I have also setup my Repository directory to be in my local Dropbox folder so that I get automatic backup. Here are some useful articles if you want to start doing this yourself. You might also want to install TortiseSVN so that you can manage other files outside of Visual Studio.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Remote IIS 7 Admin stopped working after Installing .NET 4

I ran into a situation the other day where I was unable to connect to a remotely administer an IIS 7 (Windows 2008) server after installing the .NET 4 Framework. After some checking the steps that I used to setup the server in this blog post, I figured out that when .NET 4 installed it turned off IIS 7 Management Service and unchecked the Enable Remote Connections options on the service.


Once I checked this option again and restarted the service, everything was working again. Strange that installing .NET 4 would have done that… oh well, now I know.

Hope this helps someone else.